Monday, May 9, 2011

Voir Grand

Voir Grand - Seeing big. Two words to describe the French.

Eiffel Tower - Paris, France
I asked what you thought about when you thought of the French:


2 Eiffel Tower/Paris

2 Bonjour

1 Cigarette Smokers

2 French Baguette

0 French Alps


Besides making me realise that that my polls aren't very popular, these results also illustrate my own thoughts of the French. Nothing, but everything, stands out for them and their beautiful country.


The Eiffel tower and Paris are known around the world for romance, architecture, history, high fashion, exquisite foods... One cannot travel through France ignoring the presence of a deeply rooted culture.

French Flag Leaving Nice - Côte d'Azur, France
French people are able to make a single word such as "Bonjour" sound both joyful, nonchalant and extremely sexy. In fact, this applies to pretty much any word in their dictionary...

Although it is perceived as a gross habit when others do it, the French have managed to make smoking seem elegant and attractive. Maybe this explains why all Frenchies I've met smoke or have smoked at some point in their lives...

Seeing big - and bread shall not be the exception! Baguettes, simply another piece of bread amongst others in France, just so happens to be a fancy treat elsewhere. I can speak for myself, buying a fresh baguette is a real treat for me and at home, we always make sure someone is in charge of picking one up for our dinner parties.

And as for the French Alps... yes, they share the glory with the Austrians, Italians and Germans, but they truly succeeded in making the most of it. Just look at Chamonix! Some of the best skiing, ski towns, ski resorts ... all so conveniently accessible, memorable and well, amazing!

I have been to France three times and hopefully will return in the near future as there is still so much I haven't seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment