Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The magic words

Say please and thank you. Who hasn't been told?

But what is the true meaning of being polite? A simple word? You can throw insults and swear at someone, saying please won't make it polite... So the question is, is it always necessary?


London Tube - London, England
I asked in a poll, which sentence would you use with friends and family members:

16% Pass the salt
0%   Pass the salt please
66% Can you pass the salt?
16% Can you pass the salt please?


The answer seems clear. But then again, it always depends on your culture and the way you were brought up.

Politeness is not defined the same way in everyone's mind. Some apologize and say the magic word like there is no tomorrow and think it is rude not to do so. But others can get somewhat offended by their close friends and family for being overly polite... 


I generally consider myself quite polite and have been recognized as such in most of my travels, reinforcing the Canadian stereotype. But to my surprise, my politeness appeared quite overrated during my stay in England. In the land of Please and Thank you, I was sometimes even considered rude! But I adapted to the different culture and slowly changed my ways. Did anyone notice and appreciate my efforts? Probably not. 

1 comment:

  1. Being brought up in England, we were always told to use please and thank you. i would have to say that i find it totally normal to say.

    can you pass the salt please. Even if the brits are brought up on this point all the time being told that we say these words unnecessary , i still agree with my parents that , to be polite doesn't hurt you but it does show a good upbringing:P

    When i arrived in quebec i was a little taken back by the quebecoise , never please, just pass me this, or that and in the end, if everyone says it like that, it becomes normal, a part of everyday life. So you tell me who is right!!!

    Stewart Riggall

    ReplyDelete