Monday, March 7, 2011

Shocking Culture Shock

I have always found it easy to travel and adapt to different cultures. So much, that I rarely felt homesick.

But one day, something weird happened: I think I had a culture shock. A serious shock where I had to fight my tears back and didn't immediately understand what was happening to me...
London Bridge - London, England


I'm not sure which aspect of the situation affected me the most. Maybe it was simply the overall moment... I was having dinner with the family I was staying with. They had gone on vacation (also knows as holiday) to a faraway destination (common to them but unusual to me) and they were craving Fish and Chips. Typically British isn't it? I guess sometimes I crave fondue or raclette when I'm away from home. But without wanting to be judgemental, I don't think it compares to greasy Fish and Chips. Maybe it's because I rarely eat fish, or because so much batter actually makes me feel ill... or maybe even the fact that they eat it with vinegar (there seems to be something wrong with ketchup over there). Anyways, I could just not understand their weird craving. Nevertheless, I wanted that meal to end quickly.

All of a sudden, I was noticing their accent. Small detail, considering that I was by then, used to it... but I believe it added a little something to my shock: it clearly set me apart from the group; I was the one with the different accent who doesn't enjoy greasy fish.

Big Ben - London, England
But then on top of that, I got in some sort of mild argument with a member of the family. It could have been about the weather, or even politics or religion for that matter, and it would have been fine. But no, it was about my country. Something that we did or did not do in Canada. I usually very easily accept different opinions and can have an argument in a very mature and informative manner, but not that day. That day, I had to be right, as if it meant supporting and representing my whole country. And it wasn't working. I ended up with tears in my eyes and I had no idea why. 

To this day, I am not sure why I was about to cry like a baby so I just call it My Culture Shock Experience. I found no other way to explain it...

No comments:

Post a Comment