Sunday, February 13, 2011

A city I have visited: Sydney

And the winner of the poll is: A city I have visited. Thanks for your interest!

I chose to write about Sydney, because it's one of the places where I have spent the most time and one that I have fallen in love with. But it wasn't love at first sight, here's the story...

Downtown Sydney and Opera House - NSW, Australia

This is it! I am standing here, camera in hand, facing the water with the Harbour Bridge to my left and the Opera House to my right. This is what it's all about. Discovering everything I could only see in documentaries or pictures before. This is being at the total opposite side of the world. I was impressed... for about a day or two, then it wore off. But it was already too late to change my mind, I was settling in Sydney, looking for work and hoping for the experience of a life time. Surely there had to be more to this city...  And there was, there definitely was. It took me a while, but I fell in love with Sydney, with Australia.


Opera House - Sydney, NSW, Australia
It's a big city on the waterside. But not just any water... it has dozens of harbours and bays and beaches and secluded spots. I remember climbing up to the lighthouse in Palm Beach and looking out at endless bays, peninsulas, and beaches, all bathing in an amazing sunset. I remember thinking "I could start a life here". And those words came to my mind again when walking around Rose Bay, and again when swimming in Camp Cove...

There were simply too many areas, too many choices to pick from, so when came the time to chose a place to live, I went for the obvious: Bondi Beach. Great beach, great ambiance, great restaurants, easily accessible. I would never regret my choice. But a few months later, the opportunity came to move to Manly - I had to grasp it. I knew I couldn't say no and I am sure glad I didn't! It is hard to beat going to work on a peaceful ferry, looking out for playful dolphins, taking in the views, feeling the warm breeze on a hot sunny morning. This is what confirmed that I was in love. Sydney had me under its spell!

View from Palm Beach Lightouse - NSW, Australia

Maybe it was the simple pleasure of walking around barefoot, or being able to go for a run by the beach everyday, or the laidback barbecues, or maybe just being part of an amazing country, full of adventure and surprises. 

I am still not quite sure what it was exactly... but I know I will most definitely be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment