Saturday, February 26, 2011

Where are you from?

Varadero, Cuba

Without getting into the difference between where you're from and where your home is... I found interesting to compare people's answers to Where are you from? whilst travelling.
I decided to ask my "readers" and got:

4 Home country
2 Home state/province
3 Home town
1 Lie

I personally answer Canada. Simple. Everyone knows where that is. Sometimes I also specify my province, Quebec, just so they know I actually speak French or if I'm in North America since there's more chance they'll ask Where in Canada? anyways... but don't mention the city unless asked. And I certainly wouldn't lie! I do wonder who is the one person who voted A lie to my poll...

I can understand people who answer New York, Paris, Los Angeles or Tokyo for example. All big and well known cities around the globe... but I don't quite understand an answer such as Nantucket.

I had to laugh and admire the pride in the traveller's answer. Then I realised that in general, Americans do tend to assume everyone knows where everywhere is in the US. They do have more big, well known cities than any other country, I'll give them that. But they sometimes don't even seem to realise there's more outside of their country. I've got to admit there is a lot to see in the United Sates and one who doesn't travel much can easily explore new destinations without the need of a passport, which only about 37% of the population owns. Shocking? I bet it really is for our European friends!

Others may reply with their home country, wondering if we know much or anything at all about it. One traveller was from Estonia and offended that so many people didn't even know it existed. I admitted I wouldn't be able to put in on a map but that I had at least heard of it... to him I answered I was from Quebec in Canada. Surprisingly, a lot of people know where that is. I've been impressed many many times with people's knowledge of Quebec and our different culture and language. The Estonian had never heard of it. Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Telling a lie can sometimes be understood but it will always be awkward when the truth comes out. One "local" was supposedly from Australia. I had my doubts due to her accent and actually found out she was Asian later on. Born there and lived there for quite a few years... Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of! I still don't understand the lie...

Call me weird but this is the kind of thing I find interesting. Seeing how different everyone is, trying to understand their way of thinking, linking it the their culture... And I was so glad that everyone gave different answers to my poll! Thanks all who participated! 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting article:) and so true about Americans. good job jess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Je me considère défénitivement québécoise et non canadienne mais je suis très fière de répondre que je viens du Canada quand je suis dans d'autres pays. "Soy de Canada... la parte francesa de Canada" (pour expliquer mon accent) et je suis toujours étonnée qu'on me réponde "Aaaahh Quebec!" Euh... ils apprennent vraiment ça à l'école? Parce que moi je n'avais jamais appris que les Baléares étaient des îles de l'Espagne avant d'y mettre les pieds! Et ils me parlent même de l'indépendance parfois...!

    ReplyDelete